Tuesday, August 29, 2017

My Favorite Back to School Books


I have taught school for 6 years, and been an avid reader all of my life. When it comes to Back to School books though, I've found most of the list and ideas similar. Most of them focus on being nervous for back to school. Those are great, but I wanted to share my own list of books I love to read during the first few weeks of school and why. Beware, this is not your typical list! 


"It's Mine!" By Leo Lionni
Lots of times when students come into your classroom, they're not prepared to share and work together. Maybe they've never had to share before, or the excitement of being in a new class makes them forget how to work together. This is a simple book that teaches both of those concepts! 


"The Magic Hat" by Mem Fox
I love this book. It rhymes, has fun pictures, and a cute story line. Even more, I love to share this book with my students to show them that it's okay to find magic and excitement all around them! 


"Chrysanthemum" by Kevin Henkes
This fun story is set at school. Chrysanthemum feels embarrassed by her long name, then when she realizes her teacher is similar to her she feels happy and special. This can teach so many lessons, especially about loving who you are and having your teachers support. 


"Today I Feel Silly" by Jamie Lee Curtis
This fun book not only has great pictures, but teaches students all about different feelings. It comes with a fun emotions wheel and can be used all year to help you as a teacher if a student is having trouble describing how they're feeling. 


"Not Your Typical Dragon" by Dan Bar-el
I absolutely love this story. It is one of my very favorites and it's a great way to teach that it's okay to be different, and being different can make you special and helpful to others! 


"A Weekend Woth Wendell" by Kevin Henkes
If you get into school and find you have students who aren't getting along, this book is a great introduction to them about learning to have fun with people who may at first seem frustrating to you! 


"You Are Special" By Max Lucado
I never let a year go by that I don't read this book to my class. I always want my students to know that I think there special and important and loved by me. This book teaches just that. 

"The Relatives Came" by Cynthia Rylant 
This is a great book to get your students talking about what they did over the summer. I always love to hear about the adventures they had! 


Whay books do you love to read during your first few weeks of school??

Follow along this year as I use books to create a toddler curriculum for my son. You can find the first few weeks in my TPT store and this packet below is free!

No comments:

Post a Comment